Be Relevant

Relearning everything we've forgotten.

Tuesday, December 14, 2010

“We must become the change we want to see.” Mahatma Gandhi

It's so easy to get down about the state of the world.  I know I do all the time.  The danger lies in when the down feeling becomes so overwhelming that you feel like you can never make a difference.  Then a paralysis of action sets in which quickly turns into apathy.

There's so many things to argue over and causes to identify with.  We've entered a state where our strive for individuality has segregated us from one another.  In our effort to get back some of that collectiveness we reach for labels.  It seems every noun, pronoun, adjective, and verb is used to helps us detach from one another.

Who says that one way is right?  It's part and parcel of our egoic self to want to be right.  To have all the answers.  I find myself becoming unable to bend in my views as I become more entrenched in my beliefs.  My conversations take on a preachy air and I talk more to people than with them.  I solidify my segregation.

The truth is that there is hope in the world.  Its the one thing that does bind us all together.

We need to move forward focusing on the here and now.  Focusing on the solutions not the issues that divide us.  More importantly we need to act.  The smallest act of compassion will make a difference.

"We must become the change we want to see.”  Mahatma Gandhi

No comments:

Post a Comment